this page
Picture

Culture


Beočin  Bešenovo  Divša  Grgeteg  Jazak  Krušedol  Kuvezdin 
Mala Remeta  Novo Hopovo  Petkovnica  Privina Glava  Rakovac  Šišatovac  Staro Hopovo  Velika Remeta  Ravanica

 

ŠišatovacPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to the Birth of the Mother of God. The foundation of the Monastery is ascribed to the refugee monks from the Serbian monastery of Zica, who tore down the original church of St. Nicolas called Remetsko, and erected on its site a new church, which was dedicated to the virgin and named Sisatovac. The reliable factsbillustrating the life of the monastery date from the mid-16th century. In 1543. the relics of st. Stefan Stiljanovic were brought from Siklos to the monastery. The old two-domed church, which had been built by masters from the Adriatic coast. Jovan and Gaspar, was destroyed in 1778. A new larger one, donated by the bishop Vikentije Jovanovic-Popovic, was built on its site. The monks' quarters were erected on three sides, while the fourth was closed by the church itself. The quarters acquired their present appearance at the beginning of the 19th century. The cemetery chapel was dedicated to St. Paul and St. Peter, and the chapel was built in 1750. The iconostas and murals for the new church were made by Grigorije Davidovic Obsic, in 1785. The monastery was destroyed during World War II. The reconstruction of the monastery is under way.

top 

Staro HopovoPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to St. Pantelemon. According to the tradition, the monastery was funded by bishop Maksim. The reliable data about the monastery date back to 1545/46. There are no records about Staro Hopovo from the 17th century and the first half of 18th century. Not before 1751. were there records testifying to the existence of a church devoted to St. Nicolas, with walls made of wooden planks. Instead of that church, which was destroyed in an earthquake, the present one, dedicated to St. Pantelemon, was built in 1752. In the new, single nave domed church, the throne icons, one the baroque iconostasis, were painted by Janko Halkozovic. During World War II, the church was damaged and iconostasis was dismantled. The church itself underwent conservation and restoration after World War II.

top 

Velika RemetaPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to St. Dimitri. Traditionally, it is linked to the king Dragutin, but more probably founded at the and of the 15th or in the first decades of the 16th century. Under the name of Velika Remeta, it was mentioned in 1562. The monastery church was built as a single-nave building with a dome and exonatrhex, with a baroque belltover added in 1735. Both the exterior and interior were painted in 1567/68. Some fragments are preserved in the niches of the facade and in the altar. The monks' quarters surrounding the church on four sides underwent an adaptation which brought them into accord with barought them into accord with baroque bell-tower.
The paintings on the iconostasis, which was dismantled duringWorld War II have not been studied extensively. The iconostasis consisted of a set of icons varying in age, put together in 1850. The most important icons from the main tier were done in 1687.
 After the damage, caused to Velika Remeta in World War II, it was renovated on two occasions.

top 

Vrdnik - RavanicaPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to the Ascension. The exact time of its founding is unknown. The records from the first half of the 18th century indicate thet the church was built during the time of Metropolitan Serafim, in the second half of the 16th century. The first reliable records about the monastery date from 1566-69. In the renovation of Vrdnik, carried out by the monks who fled from Ravanica, the monastery in Serbia, in 1697, the old late medieval stone church with a trefoil plan with wooden belltower was reconstructed. Since that time the monastery has also been called Ravanica, and the relics of prince Lazar were treasured in till 1990.
The present church was built between 1801 and 1811. The iconostasis of the old church was painted by Stanije Popovic in 1743. Dimitrije Avramovic painted the new iconostasis, and the wall paintings in 1853.
 The three-sided quarters were built in the first half of the 18th century, and reconstructed at the beginning of the 19th century. World War II left the monastery undamaged, but all movable valuables were taken away. The monastery has been partly renovated.


[Museums]  [Libraries]  [Publishing]  [Cultural monuments]  [Archives]  [Matica srpska]
[
Monastery 1]  [Monastery 2]  [Monastery 3]  [Monastery 4]

 

Upišite Vašu email adresu na listu ako želite da Vas obavestimo o novostima  putem elektronske pošte
Subscribe to INFO mailing list

Production by Vojvodina Web Team © 1998.   Last update: 02/10/98