this page
Picture

Culture


Beočin  Bešenovo  Divša  Grgeteg  Jazak  Krušedol  Kuvezdin 
Mala Remeta  Novo Hopovo  Petkovnica  Privina Glava  Rakovac  Šišatovac  Staro Hopovo  Velika Remeta  Ravanica

 

Novo HopovoPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. Accordiing to tradition, the monastery was built by the Despots of the Brankovic family. The first reliable mention of the monastery is dated 1641. The present church was built in 1576 by the contribution of a group of benefactors, particularty by Lacko and Marko Jovsic, citizens of Gornji Kovin. The church of Novo Hopovo is one of the largets and architecturally most importart religious buldings of its time. The Monastery complex underwent some major changes during the 18th century under the influence of the Baroque, when the bell-tower was added to the church and the monks's quarters were built around it.
     In the second half of the 18th century, the old iconostasis was replaced by a high altar partition carved by Paul and Anton Rezner. The icons on this iconostasis were painted by Teodor Kracun in 1776. During World War II, the monastery was torn down, the Iconostasis dismantled and damaged, while the mobile furniturewas taken away. The monastery has been renovated as a whole, except the reconstruction of the bell-tower.

top 

PetkovnicaPicture
     The monastery church was dedicated to St. Petka. According to the tradition, founded by the widow of Stefan Stiljanovic, despotess Jelena. The monastery is first mentioned in Turkish documents of 1566-67. The church has a trefoil ground plan that has still been preservedexcept for the wooden bell- tower, which was replaced in the mid-18th century. The fresco paintings, a good portion of which has been preserved, were finished in 1588. In the 18th century, the church was renovated several times and in 1735 got a new iconostasis with a large carved cross. During World War II the church was deserted and the icons carried off and lost forever. The iconostasis was destroyed and the cross moved to the Museum of Srem in Sremska Mitrovica. The monastery has been parrly renovated.

top 

Privina GlavaPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to the Council of the Holy Archangel Michael. According to the legends, Privina glava was founded by a man named Privina Glava was fouded by a man named Priva, in the 12th century. The monastery was named after him, so the tradition says. The legend also links the monastery to Jovan Brankovic and his brother bishop Maksim who founded the monastery in 1496.
     The first documented evidence of Privina Glava is rendered by Turkish tax records of 1566-67.
 The Monastery church is a single-cupola structure with a trefoil base, built between 1741. and 1760, after the model of the Novo Hopovo manastery church. The monastery residences were built on the south and partialy on the east side of the church, between 1753 and 1771. The so-called zograph Icons on the old iconostasis were painted by Stanoje Popovic in 1747. The icons on the new iconostasis were painted by Andrej Sartist in 1786. The murals in the central part of the church were made by Kuzman Kolaric between 1786 and 1791.

top 

RakovacPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to St. Cosmos and St. Damianos. According to a legend written in 1704, Rakovac is the heritage of a certain man, Raka, courtier of desktop Jovan Brankovic. The legend states that Raka erected the monastery in1498. The monastery got its name after him. The monastery was mentioned in the first Turkish census of Srem in 1546. The addition of a baroque bell-tower on to the west church facade, in 1735, entalied certain changes in the trefoil shape of the church and the whole monastery complex. The monks' quarters acquired their final appearance in 1771, surrounding the church on three sides. The church was supposed to be painted at the beginning of the 16th century. The only preserved parts of the frescoes are those in the tambour of the dome. The icons on the baroque Iconostasis were done by Vasilije Ostojic, in 1763. The single-nove chapel in the monastery graveyard, dedicated to the Shroud of the Mother of God, built in 1751, houses the iconostasis painted by Janko Halzovic and Vasilije Ostojic, in 1755. The monastery was severely damaged in World War II and a lot of cultural, historical and artistic valuables were irretievably lost. The church has been reconstructed.


[Museums]  [Libraries]  [Publishing]  [Cultural monuments]  [Archives]  [Matica srpska]
[
Monastery 1]  [Monastery 2]  [Monastery 3]  [Monastery 4]

 

Upišite Vašu email adresu na listu ako želite da Vas obavestimo o novostima  putem elektronske pošte
Subscribe to INFO mailing list

Production by Vojvodina Web Team © 1998.   Last update: 02/10/98