this page
Picture

Culture


Beočin  Bešenovo  Divša  Grgeteg  Jazak  Krušedol  Kuvezdin 
Mala Remeta  Novo Hopovo  Petkovnica  Privina Glava  Rakovac  Šišatovac  Staro Hopovo  Velika Remeta  Ravanica

 

JazakPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The monastery was founded in 1736, by a group of donors, citizens of Novi Sad, Baja, Osijek, Sid i Sasinci. The construction of the church, traditionally designed, lasted from 1736 to 1758. but, as early as 1741. it was ready to receive the brethren. Baroque bell-tower was added on to the west side and completed in 1803. The monks' quarters, sorrounding the church on three sides, were built between 1736. and 1761.
     The icons on the baroque iconostasis were painted by Dimitrije Bacevic in 1769.
     The monastery underwent the general reconstruction between 1926. and 1930. Duging World War II, the monks' quarters were damaged, while the churc remained intact. The monastery has been pertly reconstructed.

top 

KrušedolPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to the Annunciation. The monastary was founded between 1509. and 1516, by bishup Maksim and his mother Angelina who were supported by Walaschain Duke Jovan Njegoja Basaraba. During the final retreat of the Turks from Srem in 1716, the monastary was damaged and the church burnt down. The renovation started in 1721, and was completed in the late 1760s, In 1726, a haroque bell-tower was added on, to the west wing of the monks' quarters and between 1742, and 1750, the church, undrewent certain adaptations which did not singlificantry change its general original appearance. The monks' quarters were reconstructed and expanded in the same period. The churche was originally decorated with fresco paintings in the 16th century. Is interior was covered with new oil wall paintings between 1750 and 1756, done by Jov Vasiljevic and Stefan Tenecki. On the west facade, there is a composition of Last Judgment from the end of the 17th century.
     The iconostasis was composed of icons differing in style and time of creation.

top 

KuvezdinPicture
     The monastery church was dedicated to St. Sava and St. Simeon. Traditionally, its foundation is ascribed to Stefan Stiljanovic. The first reliable records of it are dated 1566-69. The original cruciform church with two domes, built by master builders from the Adriatic Coast, was replaced in 1816 by a new classicist one, with the bell-tower built in 1803.
     The three-sided monks' quarters, built in the 18th century, acquired their final appearance in 1810. The iconostasis of the old monastery church made by Janko Holkozovic in 1772. was given away to the church in Opatovac, in the first half of the 19th century. Iconostasis and murals in the new church were done by Pavle Simic, in 1853.
     The baroque chapel in the monastery cemetery amd the monastery church were ruined and devastated during World War II.

top 

Mala RemetaPicture
     The monastary was dedicated to the Shroud of the Mother of God. The foundation of Mala Remeta is traditionally ascribed to the Serbien king Dragutin. The first reliable record of Mala Remeta is found in Turkish sources of 1546. In the late 17th century, the monastery was renewed by the refugee monks of the monastery of Raca. This church was replaced by the present church. The constructions of the church was begun in 1739, by the artisans Teodor Kosta and Nikola Krapic, Tzintzars from the Greek town of Langa, and lasted over two decades. The donor was Stanko Milinkovic from the village of Suljam, The throne icons on the iconostasis at the new church were paited by Janko Halkozovic in 1759, while the author(s) of those in the upper tiers is/are not known. The murals dated 1910. were done by Kosta Vandelovic.
     The humble two-story quarters were built in 1758, on the south side of the church, under the patronage of Jovan Jovanovic who was a first lieutenant in the Petrovaradin regiment. The quarters were damaged during World War II and renovated in the post-war renovation.


[Museums]  [Libraries]  [Publishing]  [Cultural monuments]  [Archives]  [Matica srpska]
[
Monastery 1]  [Monastery 2]  [Monastery 3]  [Monastery 4]

 

Upišite Vašu email adresu na listu ako želite da Vas obavestimo o novostima  putem elektronske pošte
Subscribe to INFO mailing list

Production by Vojvodina Web Team © 1998.   Last update: 02/10/98