this page
Picture

Culture


Beočin  Bešenovo  Divša  Grgeteg  Jazak  Krušedol  Kuvezdin 
Mala Remeta  Novo Hopovo Petkovnica  Privina Glava  Rakovac  Šišatovac  Staro Hopovo  Velika Remeta  Ravanica

 

BeočinPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to the Assumption of Christ. The time of founding is unknown. It is firtst mentioned in Turkish records dated 1566-67, when its church was a small single-nave building modeled under the influence of traditional architecture. The monastery was damaged and deserted in the Austro-Turkish Wars and restored in 1699, by the refugee monks from Raca, who also built a temporary wooden church was built from 1732 to 1740 and the bell-tower with a porch in front of the west facade was completed in 1762. The monks' quarters, built between 1728 and 1771, are located to the sourth and west of the church. An extensive reconstruction of the monastery complex was carried out in 1893, and some minor changes were made in 1921. The iconostasis of the monastery church was made by Dimitrije Bacevic, Janko Halkozovic and Teodor Kracun, in the 1750s and 1760s Only one composition of the wall painting survived. It is was painted by wall painted by Janko Halkozovic in 1782. Simultaneously with the conruction of the church, the previous chapel was built and fitted with an iconostasis in 1739. The present chapel was built in 1905, according to the desing by Vladimir Nikolic.
     During World War II, the monastery was looted while the buildings were left intact.

top 

BešenovoPicture
     The monastery church was dedicated to the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel. Besenovo was devastated in World War II, and the remains were taken apart immediately after the war. According to the legend, the monasstery of Besenovo was founded by Serbian king Dragutin at the end of 13th century. Other sources relate the founding of the monastery to the mid-15th century, depeding on the report made by an amalgamated commission while inspecting the monasteirs of Srem in 1772. The first evidence of the existence of Besenovo is found in the earliest Turkish consus of Srem from 1546. On the basis of the census of 1753. in which the monasteey church is described in detail, it is known that the structure was old and that it was made of brick, but the date of building is not mentioned. The first reliable information about the chapel in the belltower, dedicated to St. Kerikos and Julita, is from 1783. The monastery church had a cruciform plan with a cupola and narthex and there was only one entrance to the church, onhe west side. The monastery churchyard was enclosed on three sides by the two-story monks' quarters.
     From the monastery church that was destroyed in a bombardment in 1944 only the perts of the Iconostasis painted by Stevan Aleksic in 1909, were preserved. The Monastery has not been renovated.

top 

DivšaPicture
     The monastary is dedicated to St. Nicholas. It is believed to have been founded by despot Jovan Brankovic in the late 15th century. The first reliable records of Turkish origin, date from the second half of the 16th century. It is assumed to have been deserted in the 17th century, while in the early 18th century it is mentioned as a possession of the monastery of Kuvezdin.
     The old, church was reconstructed in 1744, by the donation of Petar Jovanovic. The most extensive changes in the Church were executed by 1762-64, when a new exonarthex, with a bell-tower topped with a dome, was built by the donation of a hermit nemed Matej. Under the influence of the Baroque, the modest monastery calls were thoroughly reconstructed.
     The iconostasis of the renovated church was painted by Teodor Stefanov Gologlavac, in 1754.
     The monastery was temporarily deserted from World War I till 1922. It was then reconstructed, to be severely damaged during World War II. Is iconostasis was dismantled, taken away and only partly preserved. Since 1980 the monastery has again once been inhabited and reconstructed.

top 

GrgetegPicture
     The monastery church is dedicated to St. Nicolas. According to tradition the monastery was founded by Zmaj-Ognjen Vuk, in 1471. The first reliable facts are dated from 1545/46. The monastery was deserted before the Great Migration and renovated in 1708, by the metropolitan Isaija Djakovic.
     The old stone church was replaced by a new baroque, church around 1770. The new church was renovated between 1898 and 1901, according to desings done by Herman Bolle. The monks' quarters from the 18th century, surrounding the church on that occasion. The old masonry iconostasis, a work by Jakov Orfelon from 1774 was tom down during the reconstruction. The new iconostasis was panted by Uros Predic in 1902.
     During World War II, the monastery was badly damaged and since 1953 it has been gradually reconstructed. Conservation and restoration have been under way since 1987.


[Museums]  [Libraries]  [Publishing]  [Cultural monuments]  [Archives]  [Matica srpska]
[
Monastery 1]  [Monastery 2]  [Monastery 3]  [Monastery 4]

 

Upišite Vašu email adresu na listu ako želite da Vas obavestimo o novostima  putem elektronske pošte
Subscribe to INFO mailing list

Production by Vojvodina Web Team © 1998.   Last update: 02/10/98