|
The monastery church is dedicated to the Assumption of Christ. The time of founding is unknown. It is firtst mentioned in Turkish records dated 1566-67, when its church was a small single-nave building modeled under the influence of traditional architecture. The monastery was damaged and deserted in the Austro-Turkish Wars and restored in 1699, by the refugee monks from Raca, who also built a temporary wooden church was built from 1732 to 1740 and the bell-tower with a porch in front of the west facade was completed in 1762. The monks' quarters, built between 1728 and 1771, are located to the sourth and west of the church. An extensive reconstruction of the monastery complex was carried out in 1893, and some minor changes were made in 1921. The iconostasis of the monastery church was made by Dimitrije Bacevic, Janko Halkozovic and Teodor Kracun, in the 1750s and 1760s Only one composition of the wall painting survived. It is was painted by wall painted by Janko Halkozovic in 1782. Simultaneously with the conruction of the church, the previous chapel was built and fitted with an iconostasis in 1739. The present chapel was built in 1905, according to the desing by Vladimir Nikolic. During World War II, the monastery was looted while the buildings were left intact. |